Personal Data Protection Policy
1. Charis Electric Pte Ltd (Charis) retails electricity contracts to industrial and commercial customers in Singapore. Charis is also gearing up to retail electricity contracts to residential customers in the coming soft launch of the Open Electricity Market (OEM) taking place in April 2018 for residents in Jurong and subsequently in second half of 2018 when OEM is open to the remaining part of Singapore.
2. By continuing to use the services of Charis you signify that you have read, understood and agree to Charis’s collection use and disclosure of your personal data as described in this Policy.
Information we may collect from you
3. Charis may collect the following data about you either directly from you, from your authorised representatives (i.e. persons who you have authorised and persons who have been validly identified as being you or your authorised representative) from third parties, or from publicly available sources:
• Personal information (such as your full name, NRIC, ethnicity, telephone numbers, address).
• Records from discussions or correspondences, including details obtained through customer satisfaction or other surveys.
• Details of your usage of electricity services (including consumption and usage data and reports prepared by SP Services).
• Information derived from cookies (small text files which uniquely identify your browser) where you visit any website or use any application created by or on behalf of the Charis.
• Information you provide to any Charis in relation to the provision of any services from Charis or a Sales Partners of Charis to you.
Use and disclosure of personal data collected
4. You agree that Charis may use your personal data where permitted by applicable law and for the following purposes:
• To provide and improve Charis electricity services including fulfilling audit requirements, performing creditworthiness checks and billing for services (including debt recovery).
• To compile information for analysis and in reports to our regulatory agencies.
• To conduct surveys, obtain feedback, provide you with information, products or services from Charis or third parties or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
• To carry out your instructions or to respond to enquiries.
• To comply with any requirements obligations or arrangements for using or disclosing data that applies to any member of the Charis due to applicable laws, regulations or industry codes.
• For internal management of the services being provided to you.
• To maintain the security of our premises.
• To provide training.
• For other purposes as reasonably required to provide services to you.
5. In addition, you agree that Charis may disclose your personal data where permitted by applicable law and for the following purposes:
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data where we believe that we are under a legal obligation to disclose; in order to enforce or apply agreed terms and conditions or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, security or safety of Charis members, our customers, or premises, or others. The foregoing includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
• To persons who have been validly identified as being you or your authorised representative(s) pursuant, for the purpose of the relevant transaction or enquiry.
• To authorised proxies such as your Member of Parliament or a social welfare organisation representing you.
• To third parties with whom we have contracted to provide services to us (such as analysis on our behalf) or within the Charis for any of the purposes described above. Where Charis discloses your personal data to third parties Charis shall ensure that such data is used only to provide services to Charis.
Storage of data, information security and applicability to third parties
6. The data we collect from you may be transferred to, processed, and stored at, multiple destinations worldwide. Charis will take all steps as required by mandatory Singapore law in connection with any transfer of such data overseas.
7. Charis will make reasonable security arrangements to prevent unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar activities to protect your personal data in Charis’s possession or under Charis’s control.
8. Charis will require these data protection standards to be observed by external parties who provide services to Charis and/or to whom we disclose your personal data, but we cannot and do not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties.
Access to personal information
9. At your request, we would provide access to your personal data, save that in specified circumstances your access may be subject to fees to meet our costs.
10. Charis may modify this Policy at any time by giving you written notice, such as together with your monthly bill. Continued use of any Charis after such written notification has been sent, signifies acceptance of any such modification.
Questions, Application for Access/Correction and Withdrawal of Consent
11. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding this Policy, we would be glad to hear from you. Please contact our Head Office at:
Charis Electric Pte Ltd
15 Hoe Chiang Road #12-05
12. Please also contact our Head Office if you would like to apply for access/correction of your own personal data or if you would like us to cease use of your personal data for any purpose, and we will provide the relevant application form to you.
13. We will try to respond to your question or request promptly. We may however, depending on the nature of the question or request, need up to 30 days to provide you an estimate of when we will be able to respond to you.